Dec 9, 2011

Counting Down

Life has been VERY fast paced these last few weeks. We moved a couple weeks ago, and closed on our house last Thursday, and it seems like time is flying by. The decision to choose the Navy, the CARE board, and my commissioning service seem like they were ages ago. In reality it has only been a few months. Now we are in a countdown until I leave for ODS and Chaplaincy School. I'm hoping to have my travel itenerary in a week or so.

Wednesday was our last time leading the youth group at our church, and I am truly going to miss each of those teenagers. They are great people, and I wish them the best. This Sunday will be my last as as pastor. I already know it will be difficult to leave the people and this ministry, but I know this is where God is calling me to serve him at this point in time. This gives me great peace (Eph. 1:11-12).

With all this happening, the reality of January is starting to set in. The last week or so I have been getting all my paperwork in order and purchasing the items I will need for ODS. We sent off for our tourist passports and are working on applying for our DOD passports. I have talked to many people in the process, but I can never seem to find the right person the first time. It seems as if I must talk to the whole department (or multiple departments) before I get ahold of the right person. I was truly frustrated and decided to pray about it. Later that day, I was connected with a LT who went to Japan right after ODS and she was able to guide me through this process. Funny how God works, isn't it!

For me (Mr. H) time with my family is starting to take priority. Strange, how knowing you'll be gone for 3 months will do that to you. Last night as I carried our middle son back to bed I got a little emotional as I thought, "Who will do this when I'm gone?" There are a lot of things I would like to do before I leave, but I'm not letting them get in the way of being with my family. I've seen this attitude in some of the soldiers I've worked with before, and never fully understood it. Now I do! It makes me even more grateful for those who have gone before me and those who serve today. The men and women of our military make great sacrifices to ensure our freedom. If you see a soldier, sailor, or marine (past or present) make sure you thank them for what they do!

T-Minus 23 Days and counting until ODS begins. . .

No comments: